Friday, June 4, 2010

World Oceans Day


I took Cale to town today to take part in the celebrations for World Oceans Day where he was introduced to many of my old colleagues. People especially enjoyed his 'keep our oceans clean' t-shirt. I'm trying to stay updated on all the ongoing marine conservation work happening during my time off from CPAWS. One very exciting development is that Parks Canada is currently conducting a study of the Bay of Fundy to look for a potential area that could be designated as a future marine park. This is something I have been working very hard to promote over the past few years by raising awareness on the benefits of marine protected area in fishing communities and talking to Parks Canada about the need for more protection in the Bay of Fundy. I'm so glad to see this is moving forward.

Some of you may know that the Bay of Fundy is also a finalist in the 'New 7 Wonders' contest, alongside the Great Barrier Reef, the Brazilian Rainforest and many other incredible places. The Bay is the only Canadian site. Because it is Oceans Day, it would be great if anyone reading this wanted to take a few minutes and vote for the Bay in the 7 Wonders contest. You can vote here: New 7 Wonders Being named a finalist would truly help strengthen the case for increased protection in the Bay.
Thanks...and no, I haven't slept for 6 hours yet!

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

He is sooo adorable. Dad and I were saying last night we can't believe that a year ago we didn't even know you were pregnant!