Friday, July 1, 2011

Canada Day weekend with my favourite little guy

Photo by Greggy at Crystal Crescent

Caleb is feeling much, much better which is good news for me because I have him all to myself this weekend. Alan is playing a couple of gigs and will be home late Saturday night, but until then, Caleb and I are enjoying a fabulous long weekend in the Cove. It is fun to have nowhere to go and nothing pressing to do. We took a couple of extra long walks on this beautiful sunny day and I love seeing what grabs Cale's attention along the way. Today I was slightly ahead of him when I heard him burst out laughing, start clapping and say 'grass, grass'. He was pointing at a field of tall grass that was swaying and moving in the strong wind. I wouldn't have even noticed and he wanted to stay and watch for 20 minutes. I was more than happy to join him and watch the grass 'dancing'. We finished off our long walks with some ice cream. I'm really glad I knew enough to take off his shirt before giving him the bowl!

Signing for more ice cream

Much needed post ice cream bath

At 17 months (maybe it is time to start saying one and a half ??!!) Caleb has lots of new skills. Some we strongly encourage, several we do not. Flushing the toilet, opening the fridge door and pouring milk into dada's shoes are in the latter category! Winking, laughing, sneezing and coughing on cue and stringing two words together are developments we are much happier about. A couple of his favorite expressions at the moment are 'whatsthis' when he wants to know the name of something and 'did it' when he is proud of himself for accomplishing something like climbing a set of stairs. He also really likes us to clap and provide lots of positive feedback for whatever it is he has just done. It is hard, however, when you hear 'did it' and he has climbed up to the back of the couch or onto a super narrow window sill! Oh yes, things are getting much busier around here all the time, but I'd rather have a super active little boy than a sick little boy any day. I'm looking forward to another day in the sun tomorrow, although I may not bring out the ice cream this time!

No comments: