Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Gardens and Oceans

Green thumb
We are making GREAT progress on our yard and garden. It has been so nice to move into a house that literally needed no repairs, so we've been able to put lots of our time and energy into making our yard a wonderful space to play, relax and grow our own food. I have never had a garden before, so this is all new to me and since the first day we moved in, I've had my seeds ready to plant. I have garden fever - I've seriously been itching to get out there and start making things grow! However, the very first thing I'm learning about gardening is that you need to be patient. But now, finally, the soil has warmed up, the risk of frost is gone and we just finished constructing our two 6x6 ft raised beds. Tomorrow we finally plant - cucumbers, tomatos, potatoes, peas, beans, carrots, lettuce and spinach!



I think Cale has caught of touch of the garden fever as well. We've been talking a lot about where food comes from and what we'll plant this year. I told him we could grow anything he wants to put into his salads - without hesitation he said 'Let's grow croutons!'....I guess we still have lots of learning to do!
We spray painted an old garbage can to make a nice rain barrel!
This week is World Oceans Week, and the marine team at my work have so many great activities planned that I decided I should get in on the fun. And, what better way to celebrate Oceans Week than by bringing a giant blue shark into Caleb's daycare!? Yes, I had a colleague dress up in a shark costume and visit Caleb's class. His teachers did a great job of planning activities for Earth Day (which has led to Cale's recent obsession of pointing out and picking up garbage), that I knew they'd be up for the fun. It was a huge success. The kids were so adorable and Cale is now so proud that his mom has a friend who is a 'real shark'. And, to make oceans week even better, I saw my very first wild otter last night  splashing in the water in front of our house. Amazing.

Cale hugging Hector the Blue Shark

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

Can't wait for a fresh salad from your garden!