Saturday, May 7, 2011

Extended Mother's Day


Alan is heading to N.B. this weekend, so we've been celebrating Mother's Day early. A dinner out on the town on Thursday followed a sleep in until 8:00. I'm sure Alan would have let me sleep longer, but that was the time that Caleb came bursting through the bedroom doors. We had a Mother's Day BBQ last night complete with my favorite coconut shrimp appetizer. Delicious. Either I have the best husband in the world, or I'm milking this for all it is worth. Probably a bit of both, but what can I say, it's fun to celebrate a new holiday!

I'm feeling a lot of pride, amazement, joy and hope this Mother's Day. I'm so proud of the wonderful little boy we've created, amazed by how much he has learned, his super sweet and kind personality and how unbelievably adorable he is, overjoyed with being a mom and a family, and hopeful that I might squeeze one more nice dinner out of this on Sunday night when Alan returns home!

One quick nature note - the latest species added to my Duncans Cove list is the brown-headed cowbird. These guys have an interesting strategy for raising their young. They are nest parasites so they don't build a nest of their own, but instead lay eggs in the nests of other birds and hope that the mother of that nest will look after the egg and raise the young once it has hatched. So there is no parenting required on the part of the cowbird, but a lot of extra work on the parents of nest they take advantage of. This was a fun bird to see and the best part is that it was Alan who noticed that it was a different species in the yard!

Best discovery of the Spring - the joy of puddles!

3 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Happy Mother's Day Ash. I'm a very happy and proud grandma too and can't wait to see you in 11 days!

Dr. Jillian Murphy said...

Happy Mother's Day Ashley!!! You're amazing:)

Farmer Kim said...

Cowbirds have a sweet sounding song.