Saturday, August 4, 2012

Potty training: help!



It's fun to wear underwear!
Potty training is going well, although I still feel like he is a bit of a ticking time bomb when he is not wearing diapers. You never quite know when he's going to, in his words, "pee all over the place". He'll happily pee every 2 hours if you sit him on the potty, he loves wearing his underwear and knows diapers are only for nighttime, but he has yet to actually ask to go to the potty. 


Overall I'd say we are making a lot of progress, but he has never, and pretty much refuses to, poop on the potty. We are trying to stay positive and encourage him, but it is starting to get a bit frustrated with the situation. I'm sure it will come, but I would love any potty training advice from moms or dads out there. Thanks!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I did with my two kids was to have three days of no diaper/pull up and not leaving the house. It's best in the summer because you can still easily play outside. You clean a lot of messes but I found it really effective for getting them trained. Now, that being said, Foster was much older than Bren but had far fewer accidents after being trained. I had another friend with a 3.5 year old who just wouldn't use the potty and she found this method to work for them too. Good luck!!

Tanya

Kathy said...

Hi Ash, one thing that we did was put any poop that was in the diaper or underwear into the flush and explain that that is where it goes, but I am sure that Caleb understands that part. Monica pooped in her undewear one time at the sitters and Nicole made her wash out her panties and she didn't like that at all. That was the last time she did it, so maybe that worked. As for asking to go, I just kept saying 'if you need to go you tell mommy or daddy' and if she had any accidents I would say "next time come and tell me" and I guess it has sunk in, she comes everytime now. Good luck! PS, peeing in the grass is way more fun! haha!

Ashley said...

Thanks for your suggestions ladies! I also talked to my aunt who works at a daycare. She suggested we try to read and tell stories about going to the potty and also have Cale's teddy bears use the potty and celebrate with a big party afterwards. Hoping to get him fully trained before Jamaica!