Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The adventure begins

Airplane!

Hey mon! We’ve arrived in Jamaica to begin our 4 month Caribbean adventure. Our first few days have been wonderful. My solo plane ride with Caleb was a huge success – his barely containable excitement, the Cars movie on demand, a two hour nap and no questions at immigration made for an easy trip. I was, however, very happy to see my parents at the airport in Montego Bay. They arrived only 10 minutes before us and we all made the 1.5 hour bus trip to Negril together. It was beginning to feel a bit like we were on Amazing Race: Family Edition at times, but we made it here in one piece and are now quickly getting settled into our new home.

We have rented a large (and thankfully air-conditioned) two bedroom at the ‘Negril Beach Club Resort’. The name sounds much more wild than it actually is, at least for now. I’m sure things won’t be as quiet by the time tourist season hits in November. The local crafters and hotel workers are super friendly and everyone knows Caleb by name. He has become quite popular with all the rastas on the beach - giving fist pumps and saying ‘hey mon’ to everyone who passes by.

Cale was vey happy to find our first Bob Marley statue!
One of our many daily beach walks
Hanging with local crafter, Octavius
 We are quickly adjusting to Caribbean time and I am more than happy to leave our usual hurried pace of life behind me. In Negril life is all about the slow walks, long talks and taking time to watch the sunset each night. When I find myself stresses at how long it takes for a meal to arrive, or how several people have given me completely different info on how to buy a cell phone and hook up internet in my apartment, I just take a breath and remember the wise words of Bob Marley - Don't worry about a thing, everything little thing is gonna be alright!

I’ll start working tomorrow by introducing myself to the local NGOs and I will begin mapping the coastline in the next few days. My dad will be my field assistant and my mom will be the babysitter. Everything should go smoothly as long as we don’t melt in the Caribbean sun! Lots of ocean dips will be a requirement in my work day. 
New favourite game - Cale the lifeguard

7 comments:

kathy said...

What a wonderful adventure for you guys!!! It sounds great so far, and what an opportunity for you and Cale to just enjoy life each day! xo

beaner said...

It looks like a great adventure ahead Ashley! I look forward to following along!

ML said...

All I can say is, "Fantastic"! Love that we can live vicariously through your Blog;) what great memories you all are making!
Take care!
ML

H said...

Awesome post Ash - glad to hear you guys are doing great setting up in Jamaica. Super pictures of Caleb - quite the little guy!

All the best,

Harris

Anonymous said...

Hi gang,
Just in a couple of hours ago from Teresa's. Great time there and even had alan for 2 nights.
So glad to see everything is going smoothly so far. Looking forward to all future posts.
Love to all.
Maureen

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an adventure for sure. Keep the news updates coming ... especially as it gets colder here. Lots of love, Nancy and Joan

amy said...

sound slike you are settling in well with everything, and everybody. i think that i could be a baysitter, and i dont think it is too hard fo a job to walk along the beaches. take care and i cant wait to here more about your adventure on your blog.
amy