Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Miramichi Adventures


Last weekend was the 4th year in a row that I've taken my Little Brother, Tyvonn, to Moosecall. Somehow it was also Cale's third summer visiting the camp. I love watching them both experience the wilderness, and we had lots of encounters from the moment we left Fredericton, including a moose, deer and rabbit all on the drive into the camp. Tyvonn and Caleb spent the weekend fishing with my dad and uncles. I could hardly believe that Cale is big enough to sit by himself in the canoe and reel in the line on his little fishing rod. The biggest excitement of our trip came on the drive home. My dad stopped his truck to drop off a bag of garbage at the dump, and a giant bear dramatically leaped out of the dumpster, did a backflip in the air, and raced off into the woods. The boys both had a great look at the action.

Now we are home and all the animal sightings are clearly still on Caleb's mind. The past two nights, when I was  sure he was asleep, his little voice asks "Mama, can I ask you a question? What animal came out of the dumpster?" I tried to hold back my laughter as I answered "Was it a bear?"...."YES, MAMA!!! IT WAS A BEAR!!!" he responds, then falls asleep. Then this morning he asked me to tell him a story about Santa Claus and his moose! I can't even imagine what he'll be saying after next years trip.


No comments: