Thursday, January 16, 2014

Turning 35


Tomorrow I turn 35 and instead of making one resolution to start off the new year, I've decided to make a list of things that I want to learn/accomplish/prioritize over the next 5 years. When I turn 40 (over the hill, as they say) I hope to be able to look back at this list and check off every single item. I'll likely add to the list over time, but for now here are a few things I hope for my 40 year old self.

  • Have a healthy, happy and active family
  • Learn to make, and stick to, a real family budget
  • Have savings for retirement and also for fun (family travel)
  • Make and host a full Thanksgiving dinner. Pumpkin pie and all.
  • Join the board of an NGO
  • Volunteer in my community
  • Join a naturalist club and improve my bird watching/naturalist skills
  • Find a hobby that I truly enjoy
  • Own a well-stocked professional woman wardrobe
  • Go camping often with my family
  • Learn how to do basic home maintenance
  • Own and live in a house that we plan on staying in for at least 5 years
  • Learn to bake my own bread and birthday cakes
  • Stop biting my fingernails (I stopped in October and have yet to return to this life-long habit - keep it up!)
  • Feel happy with my body and fitness level
  • Coach a sports team that my kids play on
  • Keep having the time of my life with my best friends
  • Start making plans to spend at least 6 months in Africa with my family
  • Be living the life that truly makes me happy
And I'll end off with my favorite Caleb quote of the new year - While sliding down the super steep and incredibly fun hills at Fort Royal, Caleb did one especially fast hill by himself. At the bottom, with his face covered in snow, he looks up at us and says 'Now that's what I call a party!!' Amazing.

1 comment:

Mama Linda said...

Great list Ashley. Think I'll make one for my 50th birthday...oh oh..