Thursday, January 30, 2014

Turning 4

Mom with the birthday party boy!
I have to start this post by telling you about how I devastated my son on my birthday two weeks ago. Caleb was extremely excited for my big day. He went to bed talking about it and on the morning of the 17th he woke up with a big 'Happy Birthday' song and hug for me. Then he looked into my eyes filled with hope and anticipation and asked 'What are we going to do today to celebrate your birthday?'...It was a Friday and I clearly had not properly prepared him for what happens when you turn 35. You go to work and have a pretty regular day. I had to break the news to him - he was off to school and I was off to the office. He couldn't contain his disappointment. He burst into tears. He was expecting a super-fun-adventure day, it was my BIRTHDAY after all. He pulled himself together and came downstairs to face yet another blow.

'Where are the decorations?' he asked.  I just shook my head. Very quietly he said, 'It's like it's not even your birthday.' And that was how I broke my son's heart. We did have brownies and a special dinner, but I could tell the day just didn't come close to living up to the expectations he had built up in his head.

 So yesterday, on January 29th, the day my son turned 4, I took the day off work, kept him out of school, put up decorations and had a day full of nothing but fun and games. We made cupcakes, brought them to share with his friends at daycare where his teacher lead everyone in dancing games, zumba routines and limbo contests. The two of us then played in the snow, invited another friend over for a play date, ate grilled cheese sandwiches, opened gifts, made a pillow fort, sang songs and capped it all off with a sleepover with mom. It was just the way a birthday should be. I was even able to capture a video interview of my 4 year old (which is quite endearing, if I do say so myself and I'm sure you'll agree if you check out the video below).

We kicked off the birthday celebrations with a family party and pirate cake in Fredericton

Complete with costumes (and scary faces) thanks to Cale's cousins Aly and Ava 

We were so happy to take in another year of the Shivering Songs Festival. Cale and cousin Monica loved dancing to Alan's band.
Dance party at school 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to a very special little guy!
Harris

Unknown said...

Hey Ash,

Love the blog post. The interview is adorable and endearing. What's your favorite song? All of Bob Marley's songs are my favorite". You have taught caleb well!!

Have a great 2014!!

Anonymous said...

What a special boy. We see you getting taller every time we see you. Ashley, he will certainly be able to look back later in life, and see what special parents he has, and how much he was loved. Maureen

matts said...

Great post.

Caleb, I'm very happy that you are going to make sure that Saturn keeps its rings. I've been wondering who's in charge of that for a long time. Glad you're taking care of it. Happy belated birthday!

Matt

Andy said...

Awesome interview! Very touching. I too have been a lifelong fan of musical chairs.

Andy

Anonymous said...

He is a genius

Lydia said...

Amazing interview.