Monday, February 2, 2015

The most magical of birthdays


As Yoda would say 'Your birthday it is'
After my super fun birthday potluck last week, I asked Caleb what he would like to do for his upcoming birthday party. He replied, 'I want my party to be exactly like yours, but with way more decorations!'. On January 29th,  the day that my boy turned 5 years old, I was awoken at 5:30 am. Cale climbed into bed and told me that he was going to take a tour around the house.  I asked why, and he replied "I can't wait to see all the decorations". I asked him why he thought there may be decorations around the house and he looked at me very seriously and said 'Mom, I know what parties are all about'. Well, thankfully Alan and I did decorate the night before and following an inspection, Cale was very satisfied with our work, especially when we discovered the treasure hunt we had set up around the house that lead to a brand new big boy bike hidden in the garage.

I love that birthdays are a chance to celebrate the special people in my life. I wanted Caleb's celebration to be extra special because he is honestly the best little boy anyone could hope for. We had our special day all planned out well in advance, in fact, I overheard Caleb telling someone that he wouldn't be able to go to school on his birthday because he just had too much fun stuff to do! So he skipped class and we set out on an awesome adventure.

First stop - Hot 92.3 Radio station. Yes, Caleb has developed a taste for pop music (his father is suuuper happy about this!). Cale has a fort under Greg and Linda's stairs where he set up a radio and keeps the dial on his favourite station. I had called the station a few days before and asked if it would be ok to bring him in for a tour - and they were incredibly obliging. He met the djs, sat in the studio chair, talked about his favourite song (Uptown Funk) and was gifted with stickers and a 92.3 t-shirt. Very cool.


Taking over the dj booth!
Next stop - UNB biology lab. Because of Cale's love of microscopes, I had arranged up a meeting with Dr. Rick Cunjak who had set up his lab with a ton of water samples, insects and other fun stuff for us to look at. Cale was very interested in everything he saw, asked great questions and again, I chalked this up as a hugely fun and successful venture! Our celebration day ended with a family pizza party, brownies and ice cream.
Budding scientist


Our kids party was planned for Sunday and we still had one more super surprise up our sleeves. Another one of Caleb's interests at the moment is magic, so for his party, we hired Perley the Magician to come and entertain the kids. Caleb couldn't believe it when Perley walked in...with 3 giant tupperware containers filled with magic tricks and props! He put on a great show and had the kids squealing in delight. Cale was beside himself, surrounded by friends and family and just loving every minute of his special day. 
How could you not be excited seeing all of these great tricks!


Party time!
To top off our most magical birthday week, we watched the Patriots win the Super Bowl Sunday night. I didn't want to jinx it earlier, but I think that Odin is the Pats' secret weapon. Each time he wore his Brady jersey this season, the Pats won the game. 15 wears, 15 wins!! My dad is going to retire this lucky jersey once he outgrows it! We'll probably have a little ceremony, just to give us something else to celebrate!

Odie probably would have been voted the Super Bowl MVP, had the Patriots only known about their secret weapon.
I also decided to keep my tradition of interviewing Caleb on his birthday and I'm pleased to share this special video below! Enjoy!





3 comments:

Farmer Kim said...

I think it's great that he wanted to be a magician and then, surprise, there was one at his party.

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I am like Mary in that I knew you wouldn't disappoint with you salute to Caleb's Birthday. Great fun days and a great blog again.
Maureen

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Thanks for posting Ash

xo
Treva