Monday, September 21, 2015

First days


It's happened. My little boy has started school. I didn't actually feel overly emotional about it because he was so excited to hop on that bus and begin a new adventure. And of  course, he loves it. Loves the bus, loves his teachers, loves the playground, his classmates, music class, gym class, assemblies, bringing his own lunch...everything. He is 100% ready to take his Primary class at Champlain Elementary by storm!
First day shot. He said 'wow, I look like a man going to work!'
And first day pose (taught to him by Aly and Ava)
Odin has also had some big firsts this month. He spent a wonderful 2 weeks at home with Alan which went so much better than I could have imagined. Turns out he doesn't need his mama 24 hours a day after all! Who knew?! Everyone except me, it seems! They had such a great time together going for walks, playing tons of music, taking a few naps and getting in lots of quality father and son bonding time. The bigger challenge, in my mind at least, was getting a new sitter to come in and watch Odin now that Alan is off to California on tour. Childcare has proven to be a very tricky scenario for us in Annapolis Royal. The only daycare in town doesn't start taking kids until they are 18 months and after a few home care options fell through, I was left scrambling to find someone to watch Odin during the weeks when Alan is away this fall.

Our first sitter is in the middle of a 5 day stint with Odie and it has gone so well! I can hardly believe how adaptable, happy and independent my little baby is. But I guess that is just it, he is no longer my little baby. He is turning into a toddler and he loves people, stimulation, BOOKS and TOYS! As long as he has his hands in a basket of toys or is flipping through a stack of books, he is completely content. So, the sitter experience has been great and I'm able to work without feeling guilty or feeling like I'm breaking a little boys heart by being away. It is great to get home at the end of each day, and I am hilariously greeted by Odin smiling at me and making the 'milk' sign. He is ready to jump into my arms, cuddle and nurse for a minute. It's a nice way to reconnect after being apart, even if it does feel like he thinks my name is 'milk'!

The next few weeks will be a rotation of family members, Alan and hopefully a steady babysitter beginning in November. Whew, it is exhausting, but somehow once again, with tons of help, we are going to be able to find a way to make things work.

And now for a quick update about my other child - Sunny!

Lydia and I have been making plans for months to do a moms camping trip together, and this weekend turned out to be the perfect time for us to get away. The weather was glorious and Sunny was ready to roll. This was my first 'solo' trip in Sunny without Alan to take care of the campsite set-up, but I am proud to say that I figured everything out and we had an amazing time. We even managed to get the kids asleep so Lydia and I could have some much needed one on one time by the fire in the evening. Oh Sunny, still keeping our summer adventures alive!

And we are off. Baby Mia is usually the calmest baby in the world, so it was unfortunate (and a tad hilarious) that she was so upset in this picture. She quickly recovered and was amazingly content for the rest of the trip!
2 moms, 4 kids and 1 RV!
PJ party in the morning while Odin is possibly eating a rock. 

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

You are making wonderful memories for your family Ashley. Miss you so much!