Saturday, March 10, 2012

On the road

Shelburne Waterfront

Last weekend Alan and David had a show at the Osprey Theatre in Shelburne. Since the guys rarely play shows that are close to home, Nina, Cale and I decided to hit the road with the band for a night! We had a blast - restaurants, hotels, beach adventures and Cale stayed up late enough to see the first set of the show. He sat perfectly still in my lap, clapped enthusiastically after each song and then fell asleep in my arms. I know touring and being away isn't always easy for Alan, so it was great to make this trip a family affair. It made me really excited to take Cale to some festivals this summer.

Owl eyes

One of the many reasons why I love southwest Nova Scotia - the chance to stroll along white, sandy beaches and find amazing sand dollars. And, we were the only ones there.

In other travel news, I mentioned Jamaica in a earlier post. Well, I signed the papers to spend 4 months studying coastal erosion and raising awareness on the impacts of climate change to coastal communities in Negril, Jamaica. I am very fortunate to be a 2012 recipient of the Robin Rigby Trust, which will allow me to travel to Negril and partner with a local NGO - CARIBSAVE, the Jamaican Dept of Tourism, Dept of Environment, the University of West Indies and Waterloo University. I'll be leaving in September with my trusty sidekick, Caleb, by my side. Alan will be busy touring out West for much of next Fall, but he will be able to spend the month of December with us. My parents are coming for September and I'm hoping other friends and family will help with childcare during the rest of the trip. Consider it - spend time exploring the beautiful coasts of Jamaica AND share the experience with a wonderful little guy! Seriously, consider it!!

No comments: