Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bluegrass festival campout

I know I wrote that we'd be staying home for a couple of weeks to work on improving Cale's sleep habits, but I couldn't pass up a chance to go with Alan to the Rogersville Bluegrass Festival on Saturday night! It was Caleb's first bluegrass festival and first night camping in a tent. Going to festivals was such a huge part of Alan's growing up, that I knew we had to get Cale to one during his first summer. It was the first bluegrass festival we've been to in two years, so when we woke up on Saturday morning to hit the road, Alan, with guitar in hand, was as excited as a kid on Christmas morning! Over the years, I have also grown to love these festivals - the people (many of whom are now great friends), music (the level of musicianship is truly remarkable) and welcoming atmosphere - make bluegrass festivals one of the best kept secrets in the Maritimes. These festivals are where Alan shines the most - his natural habitat!
Alan commented as we hit the road at 7:30 am how before he used to have a checklist of 4 items - guitar, sleeping bag, tent and cooler - and now here we were with a car overflowing with baby clothes, a stroller, baby food, toys, diapers! How times have changed! Cale got to meet so many new friends, all people who will be able to watch him grow up, just as they watched Alan. He slept great in the tent and Alan got to jam 2 years worth of picking into one night. When Cale and I woke up at 6:30, Alan was just climbing into the tent to get a few hours of sleep! There were a couple of times in the middle of the night when I woke up and could hear Alan singing off in the distance that I wished I could have snuck out of the tent to go join in the fun. But I was quite content to drift back to sleep with a smile on my face knowing that both of my boys were exactly where they wanted to be.

When I grow up I want to be just like my dad!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

made me tear up. love you guys!

xoxox
mary

Grandma Linda said...

Lovely Ash. And just 10 more sleeps til we get to see Cale again. Oh, and you guys too!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Great pictures and wonderfully written. Glad Alan got a chance to "relive" the old days. Your spin on your weekend took us all back.
Love, Maureen

Anonymous said...

Best post ever Ash! truly great memories....
Shona

Megan said...

Love it! I am excited to read your blog Ashley! :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with both Mary and Mom! love to all

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Ashley. Sounds like a treasured family memory.

Tanya